Spicer: 'Disservice' to Slain Navy SEAL to Question Success of Yemen Raid

Image Yemen-based al Qaeda wing military chief Qassim al-Raymi

Image Yemen-based al Qaeda wing military chief Qassim al-Raymi

The botched USA counter-terrorism raid in Yemen last week that brought President Donald Trump his first military death since taking office has re-energized al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which is using the operation to ignite "the flame of jihad" again.

The alleged target of a USA raid late last month in Yemen survived the attack, and now he's taunting President Donald Trump in a new audio message.

The news outlet said: "It was not clear whether Rimi was at the al-Qaeda camp but escaped when SEAL Team 6 and United Arab Emirates commandos descended, whether he happened to be elsewhere, or whether he was even tipped off".

Social media accounts affiliated with AQAP published graphic images allegedly showing children who were killed in the raid, saying "America is assassinating children", and accusing the USA of barbarity.

Yet, Sean Spicer, White House Press secretary, Tuesday asserted that the mission's objective of intelligence gathering was achieved, without commenting on the Yemeni reaction to the raid.

An unidentified senior USA intelligence official told NBC News how "almost everything went wrong" in the raid.

On Sunday, al-Rimi - who landed on the US most-wanted terrorist list after taking over al Qaeda's Yemen affiliate in 2015 - released an audio recording that military sources said is authentic.

Qassim al-Rimi, who some sources believe was the target for the raid, said Trump had received a "painful slap across his face".

White House officials have publicly called the mission a success, but also a tragedy because of Owens' death.

Bank of England hikes United Kingdom growth forecast; holds rate
The BOE interest rate decision and inflation report are scheduled to be released at 12:00 GMT, with no changes expected in policy. For 2018 and 2019, the economy is expected to grow by 1.6% and 1.7% respectively, up from the 1.5% and 1.6% seen in November.


The military said the civilians may not have been visible to the US forces because they were mixed in with combatants in the compound who were firing at USA troops "from all sides to include houses and other buildings".

Those who say the raid wasn't a success, Spicer said, don't fully appreciate "how successful that mission was, what the information that they were able to retrieve was and how that will help prevent future terrorist attacks".

The Pentagon disputed published reports that the operation was compromised and that us troops lost the element of surprise in the assault on the compound.

As a result of the botched operation, a Navy SEAL was killed, three Americans were wounded and civilians were also reportedly killed.

Other anonymous officials have said that the raid was carried out without succinctly solid intelligence or ground support. The first was the 2014 special forces raid to save two hostages, one a US national, from an Al-Qaeda base. One of the dead was the eight-year-old daughter of the late militant Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed by a 2011 United States drone strike.

"It's absolutely a success".

Several Yemeni officials said they were not consulted on the operation.

A Navy SEAL was killed in the operation, as were several foreign civilians, including children. By requesting U.S. permission for future ground operations, Yemen's government has taken a more assertive role in this relationship, one that could serve its internal political goals.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.